CITO ESCORTED – The Enchanting Douro Valley Cruise
Destination: Portugal & Spain
Duration: 8 days
Cruise along the River Douro from the coast at Porto, through the Portuguese countryside to the Spanish border plus enjoy an excursion to Salamanca.
MS Miguel Torga
A premium vessel 3 decks, 66 cabins, carrying 132 passengers. Facilities include lounge bar with dance floor, bar, dining room, sundeck with deck chairs and swimming pool, gift shop and lift. Cabins are en suite air-conditioned and have either a picture or floor-to-ceiling window, hairdryer, satellite TV and safe. WiFi is available on board.
Single cabin £460 (limited availability)
Middle deck £130 per person
Upper deck £155
- Door to Door Service
- Return flights
- Airport transfers at the destination
- 7 nights All Inclusive accommodation whilst on board MS Miguel Torga (breakfast, lunch and a 3 course set menu dinner (French inspired), all local wines, beers and water during meals and at the bar)
- Lunch in Salamanca
- Coach tours as mentioned in the itinerary
- English speaking local guides during the excursions
- All entrance fees, where applicable
- Services of a Cito Tour Manager throughout
Cruise itinerary is subject to change due to sailing schedules.
For anyone with mobility issues, this holiday has been graded as medium.
Your Door to Door service will transfer you to the airport for your flight to Porto. Our local coach will meet us and transfer us to our ship the MS Miguel Torga to enjoy a welcome cocktail and presentation by the crew. We have dinner on board and the evening at leisure.
During our cruise, the following excursions are included:
- A guided tour of Porto, one of the oldest cities in Europe, whose historic centre is full of unspoilt old quarters, narrow winding streets, arcaded houses and superb churches. Visit a famous wine cellar to taste the precious nectar.
- Selection of on board entertainment, from traditional Fado singers to Flamenco dancers and local folk troupes.
- Excursion of the city of Guimares which is regarded as the birth place of Portugal. A UNESCO World Heritage Site in recognition for being an “exceptionally well-preserved and authentic example of the evolution of a medieval settlement into a modern town” in Europe.
- Cruise from Leverinho to Peso da Regua, admiring the scenery and landmarks.
- Visit of the beautiful Mateus Palace Gardens, an impressive 18th Century Baroque building, mirrored in its stunning pond, surrounded by landscaped French style gardens.
- Sail through the heart of the vineyards of the Douro Valley, passing magnificent hillsides covered in trellised vineyards planted in terraces as high as 700 metres.
- Full day coach excursion to the Spanish city of Salamanca, with a guided tour and lunch included. The old Romanesque Cathedral towers above the city and the Plaza Mayor central square. The old city has been an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1988.
- Full day cruising from Barca D’Alva to Ferradosa and Pinhao. Subject to the sailing schedule, perhaps take an excursion into the vineyards for a tour and tasting.
- Excursion to the town of Lamego. Here we will discover the Nossa Senhora dos Remedios Sanctuary and the Cathedral with its stairways adorned with ‘azulejos’, Portugal’s famous painted blue ceramic tiles. Sail back to Porto for our final evening.
We disembark after breakfast and transfer to the airport for our return flight to the UK and your Door to Door Service home.