CITO ESCORTED – The Atlantic Islands of the Azores
- Destination: Portugal, Azores
- Duration: 8 days
- Departs: 21/09/2019
- Price: £1895
On this holiday we explore the verdant mountain scenery of the Portuguese Azores – a group of nine islands which are the peaks of once mighty mountains rising up from the sea bed. We will visit three of these during our holiday – Sao Miguel, Faial & Pico.
The 4 star Hotel Marina Atlantic, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island
A modern, spacious hotel offering views out to sea and over the marina. There is an indoor pool, spa & leisure facilities. en suite bedrooms have telephone, TV, minibar, safe and hairdryer.
The 4 star Hotel Do Canal, Horta, Faial Island
Located on the seafront with breath-taking views over the bay and the Pico Mountain. No pool at the hotel but the beach is a 5 minute walk away. En suite bedrooms include telephone, TV, minibar, hair dryer and WiFi.
Single room £390
- Door to Door Service
- Return flights from the UK and internal flights at destination
- Airport transfers at destination
- A total of 5 nights dinner, bed and breakfast at the Marina Atlantico Hotel, Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island
- 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast at the Hotel Do Canal, Horta, Faial Island
- 5 lunches
- Coach tours as mentioned in the itinerary
- English speaking local guide during excursions
- All entrance fees, where applicable
- Services of a Cito Tour Manager throughout
Your Door to Door Service will transfer you to the airport for your flight to Ponta Delgada on the main island of Sao Miguel. On arrival our local coach will take us to the Hotel Marina Atlántico, our base for the next 3 nights.
During our stay on Sao Miguel, the following will be included:
- Excursion to Ribeira Grande and Lagoa do Fogo (Lagoon of Fire) the highest lake on the island at 900m.
- Drive along the south road, passing the village of Lagoa and the viewpoint of Caloura. Visit Vila Franca and continue to the Valley of Furnas to see the lake and hot springs.
- Enjoy the typical island dish of ‘cozido’ where a large pot is lowered into holes in the ground and cooked by the underground volcanic steam.
- Botanical gardens, geysers and mineral water springs. Visit a tea plantation and the Santa Iria viewpoint, with the best breath taking views across the island.
- Full day Sete Cidades (Seven Cities) tour; The Vista do Rei viewpoint and twin lakes in the Valley of Sete Cidades crater with time for a stroll along the shores of its blue and green lakes. Mosteiros and Bretanha with a visit to the Ethnographic Museum in Capelas and a pineapple plantation.
Internal transfer and flight to Faial Island and 2 nights accommodation at the Hotel Do Canal in Horta. During our stay on Faial Island, the following will be included:
- Visit a local cheese factory and Capelinhos, the remains of the last volcanic eruption in 1957, and its museum. Caldeira, the highest point on the island which overlooks the Valley of Flamengos.
- Day trip, by boat to the Island of Pico, home to Portugal’s highest mountain. Full day tour of the island including visits to the whale and wine museums and to the Church of Santa Maria Madalena.
- A free day to relax, shop or perhaps take one of the whale and dolphin watching excursions from the harbour at Horta.
- Internal transfer and flight back to Sao Miguel Island and the Marina Atlantico Hotel for a further 2 night stay. Further inclusions during our return stay are included above.
Subject to flying times, the morning will be at leisure at our resort before we transfer to Ponta Delgada airport for our flight back to the UK. On arrival your Door to Door Service will be waiting to take you home.