CITO ESCORTED – Switzerland, The Bernese Oberland
- Destination: Switzerland, Spiez
- Duration: 10 days
- Departs: 10/06/2019
- Price: £1545
Exploring by train, ,mountain railways, lake steamers and buses. The Swiss public transport system offers a unique opportunity to explore the wonderful scenery of the Bernese Oberland. We take full advantage of all the system has to offer using Regional Passes.
The 3 star Hotel Aeschi Park
Situated in the heart of the village of Aeschi which sits on a ridge between the Kander Valley and Lake Thun. Bedrooms have en suite facilities, telephone, TV and balcony or terrace.
Single room £150
Jungfraujoch £75 per person. This must be confirmed at the time of booking the holiday in order that an advance booking can be made for the group.
- Door to Door Service
- Return flights
- Airport transfers at the destination
- 9 nights dinner, bed and breakfast at the Aeschi Park Hotel
- 8 day second class Bernese Oberland Regional Pass
- Services of a Cito Tour Manager throughout.
NB: Apart from the charter coach from and back to the Swiss airports all our travelling in Switzerland will be by scheduled public transport. It will be important to arrive at departure points in good time and to move swiftly between connections at certain stations. Many Swiss stations do not have lifts or escalators.
THIS HOLIDAY IS NOT SUITABLE FOR ANYONE WITH LIMITED MOBILITY.
Door to Door from your home to the airport for a flight to Basel. From here we shall travel by coach to our base for the next 9 nights, the Aeschi Park Hotel.
Days 2 to 9
On 6 of the days our Tour Manager will lead us on excursions using the public transport system. Each day will start on the local bus to Spiez station from where we continue by train, mountain railway and lake steamer.
- By bus and train to the town of Thun with free time to explore the historic central area before taking a boat the full length of Lake Thun to the international resort of Interlaken.
- Travel by funicular railway at a gradient of up to 1 in 1.4 to the top of the Niesen mountain. From the top (7,750ft) there is a spectacular 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains and down onto Lake Thun. We descend to the valley and join a conventional train which climbs up the Kander Valley to the resort of Kandersteg.
- A longer round trip as we travel from Spiez to the Swiss capital of Berne. We have free time to explore the historic arcaded central streets before continuing by train through the tranquil Emmental to the lakeside city of Lucerne. Join a narrow gauge train for a scenic journey over the Bruig Pass and along the shore of Lake Brienz to Interlaken.
- By bus and train to Interlaken where we join a boat for a trip on Lake Brienz through outstanding scenery to the village of Brienz. Here we change to the rack railway for an ascent up the Brienzer Rothorn mountain (7,700ft) for wonderful views from the top across to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains and down onto the whole expanse of Lake Brienz.
- By bus and train via Interlaken to Wilderswil where we change onto the rack railway to the Schynige Platte at the edge of a mountain ridge. As well as the magnificent views there is a large Alpine Garden featuring almost 70 plants unique to the Swiss Alps. We descend to the valley floor and return to Interlaken.
- A superb train trip to the village of Lauterbrunnen where we join the mountain railway up through the resort of Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg. From here there will be an option to travel even higher to Jungraujoch ‘Top of Europe’ at 11,330 feet. On a clear day the views over the Alps are stunning. Descend via Kleine Scheidegg to the mountain resort of Grindelwald. Those who choose not to go to Jungfraujoch will be able to spend some time at Kleine Scheidegg before continuing down the other side of the mountain pass to reach Grindelwald.
- There will be 2 free days during which your travel passes will be valid. On the first, your Tour Manager will escort those who wish to the mountain village of Murren above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The return journey to Aeschi includes an ascent of the cable car to the top of the Schilthorn (supplement payable). The other free day will enable you to visit a variety of other scenic destinations or return to somewhere you have particularly liked earlier in the holiday.
We travel by coach to Geneva Airport for our flight to the UK and your Door to Door Service home.