CITO ESCORTED – Lakes & Mountains of Central Switzerland
- Destination: Switzerland, Hergiswil
- Duration: 10 days
- Departs: 13/09/2019
- Price: £1545
This tour follows our established Swiss theme of using trains, lake steamers, mountain railways, cable cars and buses to explore this beautiful region from our base on the shore of Lake Lucerne.
The 4 star Seehotel Pilatus, Hergiswil
With the lake in front and towering Mount Pilatus behind, this family owned hotel is an ideal base from which to explore the Lake Lucerne area. All rooms have en suite facilities, free WiFi, British TV channels and a safe. There is a lakeside terrace and an indoor pool.
Single room £150
Lake view room £150 per person
- Door to Door Service
- Return flights
- Airport transfers at the destination
- 9 nights dinner, bed and breakfast at the Seehotel Pilatus, Hergiswil
- 10 day Tell Pass
- Services of a Cito Tour Manager throughout
NB: Apart from the charter coach from and back to the Swiss airports all our travelling in Switzerland will be by scheduled public transport. It will be important to arrive at departure points in good time and to move swiftly between connections at certain stations. Many Swiss stations do not have lifts or escalators.
This holiday is not suitable for anyone with limited mobility.
Your Door to Door Service will transfer you to the airport for your flight to Basel. From here we will travel by coach to our base for the next 9 nights, the Seehotel Pilatus in the village of Hergiswil.
Days 2 – 9
Everyone will have a Tell Pass which provides unlimited access to all the public transport in the area throughout the holiday. Excursions will be arranged on seven days with destinations including:
- Cruise on Lake Lucerne. The whole trip takes just under 3 hours so this will be broken into two sections on different days. Beautiful scenery with stops at several attractive lakeside villages.
- Train journey to the resort of Engelberg at the base of Mount Titlis. We climb the mountain firstly by gondola and then by a rotating cable car to reach the summit at 10,500ft where there is snow lying all year round.
- Boat to Vitznau to connect onto the world’s oldest rack railway to climb to the summit station on Mount Rigi. We descend by another rack railway on the other side of the mountain to Arth-Goldau and then back by train via Lucerne to Hergiswil.
- Train from Lucerne to Goeschenen via the scenic northern section of the original Gotthard railway. Change onto a rack railway to ascend the Schollenen Gorge to the small town of Andermatt. There will be free time here and also the opportunity to travel on part of the Glacier Express route up to the Oberalp Pass.
- A local tour to the Stanserhorn. The town of Stans is just a few minutes from Hergiswil and from here we travel by a historic funicular and then a new ‘Cabrio’ cable car to the top of the mountain. We then visit the resort of Burgenstock and the Hammetschwand Lift.
- By train over the Brunig Pass to the lakeside town of Brienz. From here we ascend by rack railway to the Brienzer Rothorn from where there are great views to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains.
- A visit to the traffic free mountain resort of Stoos which is reached by Stoosbahn – the newly opened steepest funicular in the world.
- An ascent of Mount Pilatus on the world’s steepest rack railway. From the 7000ft summit there are amazing views to the surrounding mountains and down onto the lake. (Half day)
- 1 free afternoon and 1 free day. The Tell Passes will still be valid so it will be possible for everyone to do as little or as much as they want. The opportunities are endless!
We travel by coach to Basel Airport for our flight back to the UK. Then your Door to Door Service home.